My mom had this cool "OM Yoga In A Box" thing when I was in high school. It had position flashcards, and a cd with a number of different routine options. She never used it that, I don't think, and probably doesn't even remember owning it, because when I went away to college I "borrowed" it. I still have it, but I haven't used it in at least ... umm ... four years. Possibly more. I just know where I was living when I last did it, but I lived there for three years, so it could be as many as six years since I've even opened this freakin' box.

So naturally, it's now in the middle of the night when I have a driving urge to dig it out. Huh?

Of course, for a normal person, this probably wouldn't be a big deal. Pop the CD in and go. But for someone as, um, domestically challenged as I am, it's a bit more involved. I have to clear the space in my living room, which means moving my laundry basket that's been sitting where I dropped it last week. It means moving a basket full of CDs I started sorting two months ago and didn't ever finish. It means gathering up all the dirty socks my dog has been playing fetch with, moving the cinder block that ought to be propping up my bed, and scooping a bunch of random papers into a sack to sort out later.

And then, of course, it means vacuuming--can't do yoga on a fine coating of cat hair with my allergies. The vacuum isn't really that noisy; the dog, however is. I thought at first she might be quiet; through the first half of the room, she stayed silent, stretched out on the couch watching. Then she started emitting shrill barks at random intervals. (Hi, neighbor on the other side of my duplex wall! Sorry! You said nothing bothers you, so I'm taking you at your word!)

***

Several things I forgot. When I did this before, I didn't have three cats. I found it's rather difficult to concentrate on cat/cow when a cat is trying to pay with your hair. Luckily I didn't need the flashcards, seeing as the other cat had stretched out across them.

Another thing I forgot is how it hurts my hands. Well, hand, singular, actually. Putting weight on my palms isn't so comfortable on my right side, the entire top of my hand feels all stiff now. I assume it'll get better if I keep at it--my left hand doesn't hurt, probably because that's the hand that constantly bears the weight of trays and plates.

I also forgot what I stupid poseur I feel like chanting "Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmm"!

StumbleUpon
Labels: edit post
2 Responses
  1. carla Says:

    I used to do yoga at home (ok I did it once...but thats used to) until we got our bullmastiff.

    140 pounds of canine messing with you while YOU are trying to do a downward facing dog is *ugly*

    MizFit


  2. purplegirl Says:

    I'd image "downward facing dog" turned into the venerated pose "lying on side cowering from dog slobber". :)